N e m e s i s
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum Is For BlackOut Ragnarok Guild N e m e s i s To Hang Out

HomeHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

James J. Corbett

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tranthuongbn
N e m e s i s In Training
N e m e s i s In Training

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2011-01-03

James J. Corbett Empty
PostSubject: James J. Corbett   James J. Corbett EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 11:49 pm

On May 21, 1891, Corbett fought Peter "Black Prince" Jackson, a much-heralded bout between cross-town rivals, since Corbett and Jackson were boxing instructors at San Francisco's two most prestigious athletic clubs. They fought to a draw after 61 rounds.
The fight's outcome did much more for Corbett's career than Jackson's since reigning heavyweight champion, John L. Sullivan, drew the color line and refused to defend his title against black fighters.
The win vaulted Corbett to even greater national prominence and the public clamored for a contest between him and the great John L. Sullivan. The champion reluctantly agreed and the fight was finally set. Corbett went into rigorous training and was even more confident of his chances after sparring with Sullivan in a short exhibition match on a San Francisco stage. Despite the contest being held with both men attired in formal wear, it confirmed what Gentleman Jim had long suspected - he could feint Sullivan into knots.
On September 7, 1892 at the Olympic Club in New Orleans, Louisiana, Corbett won the World Heavyweight Boxing Championship by knocking out John L. Sullivan in the 21st round. Corbett's new scientific boxing technique enabled him to dodge Sullivan's rushing attacks, and wear him down with jabs.

Miyuki
Laser Cutting Suppliers South Africa
Back to top Go down

James J. Corbett
Page 1 of 1